Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chef Test

 I often think about what I would use as a test if I were to hire a chef to run my restaurant's kitchen. There are the normal interview questions, the resume and references, but what about a practical exam?
 You know what it would be? Soup. Make me a soup, anything you want. That's it. Those are the guidelines. Call me when it's done.
 I think soup is the perfect test because nothing requires so many skills to be used in harmony as making soup does. It is a chance to show your knife skills, your ability to season correctly, creativity, and confidence. I would be perfectly comfortable making chicken noodle soup, for example, because a well made one is truly a thing of beauty. I also might make a curried corn, crab and coconut soup, for the same reason. One isn't necessarily better than the other, they're just different. A truly well made soup is something that any cook can be proud of.
 I generally resist the temptation to try and justify my existence by making something that you've never heard of. What could be better on a cold January day than a bowl of split pea soup?  Soup should be seasonally inspired. Gazpacho in late August might trump everything else. Roasted tomato soup in late September could be a close second. The point is there is no right or wrong answer. Just make the best soup you can and let it speak for itself.

No comments: