Friday, April 11, 2008

Roasting Asparagus

 Over the past few years I have fundamentally changed the way I cook asparagus. I no longer steam or boil it, ever. I roast it in a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil and salt. Try it once or twice and you'll never go back. I like to roast it to the point where some of the tips are black, just before burned. The flavor is incredible because of the smoky taste that the roasting imparts as well as the fact that you aren't boiling away flavor. The roasting really concentrates the flavor and enhances the texture.
 The same results can be obtained on a grill as well. I wouldn't light a fire just to cook asparagus, but if you are grilling anyway, why not? Just toss the asparagus with a little olive oil and salt and lay it on the grill perpendicular to the bars. Leave it on the grill until it gets really dark then flip it once and cook for another minute or two. 
 Regardless of which way you choose, don't blanch it ahead of time. Even thick asparagus works really well with this method. Just cook it a little longer over a slightly lower heat. I like to take it out of the pan or off the fire and cut the lower half of the spears in  1/8 inch slices, then just leave the tips whole. It's all delicious!
 Other vegetables like cauliflower and carrots are truly transformed this way too. Try it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris:

I cook green beans the same way. My kids even like them.

John